Monday, January 24, 2011

Make Your Own Magnets


I see this:













and I smile!


















My three year old draws these quirky little happy faces all the time.  While I have pasted pages of them into the his scrapbook, by making them into cute personalized magnets for our fridge, we will be able to enjoy them all the time! 


Making your own magnets is really easy; I made 6 magnets for less than $2.00.  


Here is what you will need:
  • White cardstock (110lb – from Staples)
  • Magnetic sheet (peel and stick on one side – the dollar store)
  • Sharpie marker (permanent) 
  • Scissors

















First, I had my little guy draw a full sheet of happy faces with the Sharpie.  Personally, I was impressed that the Sharpie stayed on the paper :o)

















Then I roughly cut out the happy faces, peeled away the paper from the tacky side of the magnetic sheet and then attached the happy faces to it. 

















Using sharp scissors, I cut around each happy face.  This stuff cut like butter so it was super easy!



















I usually leave a small border around the things that I cut out for this reason: the lines that we draw usually fluctuate in thickness.  I find that if you cut them along the drawn lines, it appears like a wobbly cutting job.  By leaving a margin around the object, you can easily tell that the original shape of the image (in this case the happy faces) are drawn askew. 

The sky is the limit here ... you could make themed magnets for birthday party favors, Valentine's Day hearts, stocking stuffers, or a little "pick me up" if mailed to a loved one ... 


This is what I did with ours:





















Hope you all are enjoying your Monday!


- Kristin - 
Featured:
oneprettything
Linked up with:


20 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! Wish we could have done this when my kids were little. This would make the kitchen so much brighter! Thanks for popping in to see me and I hope you'll come back again.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I might modify this a little bit for a project of my own - I'll be sure to link up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do this before my babies grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny-- my 5-year old was in a magnet-making-frenzy this week! lol! He was drawing tons of pictures, cutting them out, and cutting and sticking magnets all by himself! It was a riot! I have a HUGE collection now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shared this darling idea with an email group of ladies. Too fun! Anyway, came back here and the two commenters above (Gombojav Tribe and THE Princess Bombshell*)are my daughters! I wonder if I'll be getting magnets someday soon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! Thanks for sharing! My boys love anything to do with vehicles so I'll be helping them create their own magnetic transport set :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment on my blog too! I LOVE these magnets, I am going to try this. I just put a magentic chalkboard wall in my kitchen, these will be so cute to put on there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am featuring this today at Infarrantly Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are super super cute!
    A simple and easy way to display little ones artwork...twice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Those are so cute! I actually have a sheet of magnet in my "rainy day craft box". I will definitely link back to you when I finally tackle that box!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The smiley magnets are just precious!! I love this idea and can't wait to borrow it for some of my kiddo's art work!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just featured this post on my blog, Lesley's Lovingly Lifted Life! This idea is so cute and easy. Love it.
    www.lesleyslovinglyliftedlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops.. I meant to attach the link on my blog to this project...
    http://lesleyslovinglyliftedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/homemade-magnets-with-kid-art/

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so sweet. A fun project to do with my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! I'm linking up at Dollar Store Mom later this week: http://dollarstoremom.com/?p=272

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are sooo sweet and I have some perfect pictures from my grand-daughters that I could use this on. I LOVE that you used your childrens' drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely idea Kristin. What a lovely gift idea for a grandparent too! Would you mine me pinning this to Pinterest (and any other sweet ideas I come across on your blog).
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to do this but I never knew how. Thanks for this I'm going to try tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like there is sewing around the edges of some collaged magnets. What materials were used that you could sew the edges. So pretty and personal! Thank you! Peggy G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis