Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Nursery: Nautical Canvas Art
















I have been on a roll these past few days ... closing in on the kitchen and getting to those last few decorative accents for the nursery, I'm almost giddy!


These canvases were simple and fun to make and required very little skill to boot, just like the Beach sign I posted about here.  I already had the bare canvases in my stash of craft stuff, but I believe I paid about $12 for each one on sale. 














For this project, I simply took two canvases (with deep sides as I don't plan on framing them) and taped off a border using green painter's tape.  For the center of each canvas, I applied 2 coats of the darker paint that I used on the nursery walls.  I wasn't picky about getting an even or perfect coat because I like the slightly imperfect, distressed look.  
















Using acrylic paints I had on hand, I painted the sides of the canvas a bright red (the accent colour in the little fella's nursery).   I did a rougher job here too 'cause for this kind of thing imperfect makes perfect (if you know what I mean)  :o)





To finish them off, I used a couple of glue dots to attach foam boats that I found at the dollar store.  The packaging indicated that they were actually meant for decorating the bathtub, but hey, I thought they would make great wall art!  I also like the fact that they are two dimensional as it gives the final pieces some depth.  And there you have it - custom artwork for very little effort and cost - perfect!


























Linking here:
Beyond The Picket Fence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis