Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gift a Handmade Collection of Cards

As much as I can, I like to make the gifts I give.  This card catalogue is something that I made for my mom.  She loves sending cards so I tried to make her a little of everything: thinking of you, congratulations, welcome baby, thank you, birthday wishes, in sympathy ....

I chose this plastic expandable file (that I found at the dollar store) because I loved the patterned circles on it and it had the right number of tabs inside.  I had actually spent a bit of time looking around for a really nice folder couldn't believe it when I found it at the dollar store!
















I labeled the inside tabs so the cards would be easy to find.

















I searched around online to find the most simple, image free calender I could find (similar to this one) and then printed it on heavy white card stock.  I filed it at the front of the folder so that my mom could quickly reference it if she needed to.   

















I also took the time to compile a list of all family members and close friends and typed out a list, highlighted by month, of all their birth dates and anniversaries.  I had to be little sneaky because I had to borrow my mom's address book and get it back without her knowing it had ever been gone - stressful, but successful :o)

















The last part was creating the cards.  This took many evenings of cutting up old cards and fun scrapbooking paper, stamping, chalking, sparkling (probably not a word) and mounting to my heart's content.  I had never chalked stamped cards before and they actually turned out really neat!  I also dusted off and experimented with many of the paper cutters and scissors that had been sitting idle and forgotten for eons on a bookcase in the basement. 

















As part of the presentation of the cards and their envelopes, I stuffed them into plastic sleeves (biodegradable ones made of corn) that I had bought to keep the cards clean and to lend them a more "professional" look :o)  I slotted the cards into the corresponding file divider and wrapped it up.  Needless to say she was very pleased and spent time looking at each "work of art" :o)  

Now to make one for myself ... 

- Kristin - 

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I've linked to your post on my blog! :)

    http://vegasnarcissist.blogspot.com/2011/03/handmade-collection-of-cards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voting started tonight! Remember, you are one of finalists for Best of March 2011 at Saturday Mornings! Congrats again, there were over 700 entries! Here is the link to the voting area, and be sure to grab your button on the right sidebar at the very bottom to display here and drive your readers to vote! Good luck!

    http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/03/voting-for-best-of-march-2011-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. I can think of many people in my family who would love this gift. I also like that you recycled old cards, I hate to throw them away, but think it is silly to keep them all, this is a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great post...thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis