Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Royal Icing Carrots and Bunnies Sugar Cookies


My little guys were really impressed with my culinary skills this Easter - ha! This was my first attempt at using royal icing on cookies.  I have always wanted to try my hand at this and was pleasantly surprised at how fun they were to make.  

I used my go-to Manning Sugar Cookie recipe as the base (though I hear a lot of people like shortbread as the base cookie).  I purchased the dry mix royal icing (you just add water) from the bulk food store and the cookie cutters were purchased from Crate & Barrel. 

I learned a few things along the way - most importantly about the consistency of the royal icing for piping the outline and for the flooding of the cookie AND to have lots of toothpicks on hand :o)

I have to say though, that by the time I got to the bunnies I was getting a little tired so I didn't outline them.  That would have been ok with a stiffer icing but it was a little too runny and it kind of ran off the cookies in places.  I also just ended up using a toothpick to do the eyes, nose and whiskers and think that piping them on might be a little cuter in the end.   

All in all, I will be making more of royal icing cookies as they are so much fun and frankly made me quite popular with all the kids here at Easter!  

- Kristin -

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I am not worthy! Those are adorable. The patience involved in that is not for me! But I will gladly eat them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis